Last Updated on
For years, anglers have fished from boats, and even kayaks. Paddle board fishing is an ecological, and active way to fish. For this reason, many anglers are quick to adopt this method of leisurely fishing. Also known as stand up paddle boards (or SUPs, for short), these innovative inventions have been used for every outdoor activity ranging from yoga, to sightseeing, to racing.
Each version of the paddle board is adjusted to suit the activity that it is used for. For example, stand up paddle boards that are used for surfing are equipped with a white and flat planing hull. This is suitable for surfing as it is stable, despite the fact that it does not move fast. When it comes to paddle boards used by anglers, some are equipped with seats and coolers, ass well as rod holders. They are generally stable, although they can flip over. The million-dollar tip is to maintain your center of gravity by keeping your feet planted; that means, do not lean forward, and do not lean backward. If at all you do lean backward, regulate your center of gravity by leaning forward, and vice versa.
This does not mean that you will become an expert at your first try. It simply means that, like most things in life, with practice comes perfection. However, here are some tips to ensure a great first time on an SUP.
Choose the right SUP
You need to use the right kind of paddle board. This cannot be stressed enough. It is not advisable to buy or rent a paddle board that was designed for races, or yoga. This is because the features of the boards vary according to their purpose. You cannot purchase or rent a paddle board that is meant for touring, with the expectation that it would work perfectly fine as a fishing board. While fishing stand up paddle boards are medium sized, paddle boards for touring are not as flat, and they have a more streamlined displacement hull. In choosing a stand up fishing board paddle, you have to keep in mind the existence of two main types of SUPs.
A hard SUP is a solid choice for a fishing paddle board if you plan to use it regularly. This is because it does not need to be inflated before use, unlike an inflatable SUP. It may be more stable on the water, and this is a good feature for fishing paddle boards. A downside is that you might have some issues with transporting and storing it, so you may need to install extra accessories to your car in order to make transportation easier.
This is a perfect choice if you do not have sufficient storage space. It can easily be deflated and stored, and when needed, inflate it before fishing. It is also better suited for rocks and bumps, more so than a hard SUP. A disadvantage to this is the constant motion of inflating and deflating the paddle board.
- Keep a Light Paddle Board. It is important to keep your paddle board as light as possible. This is because you use your energy to push yourself around, and even though the board may be equipped with fishing boxes which can hold your fishing gears and paddle, you should keep your fishing equipment as light as possible. This means you should only fish with just enough gear.
- Simple Fishing Techniques. Another important guide deals with your fishing technique. The length of a paddle board ranges from 10 to 12 feet. Your lure an casting technique should be kept to a minimum. Struggling to reel in a fish, would most likely cause the paddle board to flip over. This could ruin your fishing trio, especially if you’re a newbie who is trying to get the hang of things.
- Harness the Wind. At the risk of sounding like a hippy, you need to use the wimd to your advantage. As best as you can, fish in areas where the wind can push gently against your back. This will help you float better. Regardless of what you do, the wind will definitely control and interfere with your paddle board, so you have to adjust to it. If toutfight against the wind, you will end up tired and feeling defeated.
- Limit Your Use of Lures. It is easier to change the lures you use on a kayak, or a boat, than on an SUP. This is the same with other fishing equipment that you use on the paddle board. There is not much space on the board, and it is not so stable. Thus, movement should be kept to a minimum.
A guide to paddle board fishing will.be incomplete without proper knowledge of the advantages, as well as disadvantages, of a stand up paddle board.
Advantages of SUP
- It is lightweight, and this makes it easier to transport and handle.
- There is a good vantage point since the angler stands to fish and maneuver the board.
- It is a great workout because the whole body is used to control the board. When fishing on a paddle board, the lower part of the body is focused on staying on the board, and the upper part is focused on balancing and maneuvering the paddle.
- Many SUPs float on water, and they do not alert the fish to their presence because the paddle boards do not cut through water. This makes it the ideal equipment for fishing.
Disadvantages of SUP
- It is not well suited for long distances.
- There is limited storage space on a stand up paddle board for gear. For this reason, it is not advisable to overload one side of the board with gear, to avoid going overboard.
- You might have issues with stability when you start using the SUP. It is only when you have some experience that you can maneuver without falling off the board.
- If you use an SUP on a windy day, your body might be like a sail, and you will be dragged from side to side.